Wednesday, December 2, 2009

December 2, 2009

Sunday evening I came down with a bout of diarrhea; ended up having taking pepto-bismo through the night. Really don't know what was the cause; but most likely it was something I ate. On Monday morning, I had my blood work for that days Zometa infusion and Velcade, which was to be done on Tuesday morning.

Creatinine was 1.2 mg/dl, which is the upper end of normal. If the level had been 1.3, then the Zometa could not have been given. Now, I am attributing the relatively high level of creatinine to the diarrhea; the nurse at the infusion center recommended that I drink a gallon of water per day; and for every cup of coffee or glass of wine/beer/bourbon that I drink, match it with an equal volume of water. I don't know if I can drink a gallon of water per day; but I think I should be able to do 2-3 quarts per day.

About 2-3 hours after the Zometa infusion, my knee and ankle joints began aching; this has happened before and generally lasts 2-3 days; hopefully this minor side-effect will be gone by tomorrow (Thursday).

My CBCs were fine; WBC = 5.0 thousand/cu mm; hemoglobin = 15.1; hematocrit = 43.7 %; platelets = 251 thousand/ cu mm; and RBC = 4.56 million/cu mm. MM markers were sent out; the results should be back late this week or early next week.

Yesterday (Tuesday), I had Velcade infusion #19, which was no big deal (no nausua). Ended up taking a nap Tuesday afternoon for about 2-hours; but I could not sleep Tuesday night even with an Ambien. Its about 6:00 am Wednesday now and I am up but don't feed particularly tired.

I weighed myself this morning and my weight (nude) was 219#, which is high for me; I weighed 209# on January 1, 2009 and I was overweight then. I really need to make a concerted effort to get down to 199#, which would be ideal for my 6'4" frame. Between 1984 and 2003, I was an avid runner, often running 5-10-15K races; at that time my weight was in the mid 180s.

My next Velcade infusion #20 is scheduled for December 8, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment